Sunday, March 17, 2013

Show Me (NOW!)

     *I had this written for awhile and I really wanted to post it after talking to some of my girlfriends who feel the exact same way, but time got away from me.  I am happy that I can post it none the less though.*

     One of the biggest reasons why I am an advocate for our word being our bond is because we live in a world where this isn't true anymore (which is sad because it should be).  There was a time where you could write an IOU and it was good; shake on a deal and it was like handing over gold; when someone would say 'I Swear', you knew that they would forfeit their life before they broke their word!  I may not always succeed, but I truly do try to be careful about not speaking in anger, haste, or making promises that I can not keep because words have power.  They have power to cause (practically) irreparable damage or encourage greatness.  They should be used with caution and care at all times.  (Can you imagine a world where this was an every day practice?!?!)  I do believe that actions speak louder than words and they have for awhile.  It has been proven by varying individuals again and again.  This need I have for those to prove what they say encompasses every type of relationship in my life, but for this post I am mostly speaking in regards to romantic relationships. 
     Lately, I have had an urge to break out into a rousing rendition of "Show Me" like Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady!  I mean that song is so true especially when she says, "...Don't talk of love or burning desire if you're on fire show me!".  I swear this should be my theme song during this epidemic of Spring Fever.  Scratch that, this should be my theme song period especially when it comes to romantic relationships.  That is why I give people time, everyone gets a chance, and although I listen, I most assuredly watch what they do just as much.  I wish it wasn't necessary, it would be fantastic if I could just listen to some one's words and they always matched their actions, but of course wishing doesn't change anything.  It would make life easier if this were the case though.  Instead of beautiful words telling me how romantic you are--prove it; don't swear that you have changed--show me; stop telling me how much you will spoil me--do it; don't tell me of the wonderful trips you will give me--take me; it is time to either step up or shut up and sit down and let someone else who will step up take your place. 
     It isn't fair to promise things you can not deliver or have any intentions of even trying to deliver.  And when someone does this it isn't just disappointment that I feel, but disgust as well.  If I can not trust you to keep your word what good are you as a person and why would I ever share my life with you?  Don't promise romance and never deliver; don't promise fidelity and cheat; don't promise honesty and lie; don't promise anything and go back on your word.  Be honest about what you can and can not do, your flaws and struggles.  Let me know the truth of who you are (because I do the same); that is what is fair and right to do.  A relationship started on deceit will not succeed and be all the worse for both parties when the truth comes out.  How can someone not desire to do what is fair and right?  Do you like being wronged?  (C'mon y'all '...Do unto others...')  Honestly, when you aren't honest, you are just wasting my time and yours.  And if you didn't know--I am NOT getting any younger (and neither are you by the way)! 
       Until another time Lovelies, I wish you all love and happiness of the truest kind! 

~Marissa
      
         

No comments:

Post a Comment