Thursday, August 15, 2013

Potter-Head

     Okay so either you do or don't know this but I am a Potter-Head.  No this doesn't mean I smoke pot, this means that I am part of the Harry Potter fandom that has taken a well deserved spot in our culture.  Although I have grown up with and do enjoy other franchises,  there isn't one that stands up to Harry Potter (sorry Twi-hards, although I do enjoy edward and bella they just aren't anywhere close to Harry and Hermoine). 
     Unlike most people I am not a fan solely because of the movies, but because of the books.  You see quite a few years ago (I am showing my age again) when my youngest brother was terribly young his friends started reading a "new" series called Harry Potter.  My mom, not willing to purchase anything she didn't know about for consumption (of any kind) by her children, bought the book and gave it to me to "preview" for him.  From the first page of the first chapter of the Goblet of Fire (I read the books out of order(not by choice I hate doing that)) I was hooked!  Once I gave the ok, Matty got to read them and since I never start a series and not finish it, so did I!  And with that--one by one we all fell in love with HP.
     From a literary stand point it was one of the most engaging, creative, well written YA novels I had ever had the pleasure of devouring (as most of you know each book is longer than the last).  The movies just added to the absolute affinity I had to the franchise by bringing the characters, the world, we adored to life.  I cried when we lost Sirius and Dumbledore and even more when we lost Severus.  I cheered when Hermoine punched Draco and when Ron found his conviction and subsequently his way back to Harry and Hermoine.  I rooted for Mrs. Weasley when she killed Bellatrix and prayed for Harry during his final battle with Voldemort.
     I don't care how old I am or who knows it--I am proud to say I am a potterhead!  And I know I will share this franchise (books first) with my own children.  For a story that promotes love, intelligence, leadership, hope and friendship is one to appreciate and spread for many years to come!  (If you haven't read it I recommend it, if you can't already tell!)  So let's hear it for the potterheads--the generation that has grown to know that the word ALWAYS carries the same power and importance as LOVE! 
     Until another time I wish you all love and happiness of the truest kind!
     Marissa

No comments:

Post a Comment