Saturday, August 10, 2013

Inter-Cultural Dating

     America--the melting pot of the world.  Our nation can probably lay claim to being one of the only countries that has at least one person from every culture in the world as a resident.  Have you ever stopped to think about what that truly means?  Inter-cultural relationships (as is inevitable), are becoming more and more prominent.  The cultural lines are blurring and fading faster and faster with every year that passes.  It is wonderful, simply beautiful, seeing love flow as it is meant to, unrestricted.  But there are some individuals who enter into inter-cultural relationships without having the slightest inclination of what they are getting into.  
        Coming from another culture, myself, I have had quite a few dating experiences that were less than savory.  You see, I come from a Matriarch.  The head of my family is my grandmother (the light of my life and my world).  She is the one who is present for the birth of practically every grandchild; to give her blessing to marriages and new homes; she is the spiritual compass and source of wisdom for us all.  Her home is where we gather for major holidays and events that affect us as a family.  I was raised calling elders, 'Mr.'; 'Ms'; 'Aunt' or 'Uncle' because these are titles of respect.  And that Sundays are a day reserved for family--for dinner and conversations, movies and games.  It was the day of the week where we spend time together, catch up and remember to enjoy those whom we love so much.  This, my family structure and the way I was raised,  are all parts of my culture that I can't (nor would I if I could) change. 
     Having had relationships with guys who didn't understand nor did they appreciate or accept my culture it was very, very difficult and disheartening.  This is why I encourage anyone, before entering into a relationship with someone from another culture(s), to ask themselves--to truly be sure--that they are ready to be immersed, a part of, a new and different cultural experience.  Someone who isn't ready can cause a lot of damage to the person they are with because of their lack of understanding or appreciation and acceptance.  Sad, but true and the other reality is if you are unable to accept, appreciate or understand then you should end the relationship amicably.  Remember when you truly love someone you love them in their totality not in bits and pieces and culture is a part of each and everyone of us.
     Honestly it can be so much fun experiencing and being a part of another culture.  Hunny's culture has some similarities to mine own, but there are differences as well and I love them.  I love learning about, exploring, and experiencing the differences.  And he is the same way with me.  His acceptance, appreciation and understanding (I know you are tired of those three words, but repetition is the key to memory) makes me feel so secure, free and loved!  Everyone deserves to feel this way--all of the wonderful feelings that come from being with someone who genuinely loves you and what makes you, you.  Remember, take your time and consider what an Inter-cultural relationship is and what it requires.
     Until another time I wish you Love and Happiness of the truest kind!
          ~Marissa 

No comments:

Post a Comment